Saturday, December 18, 2010

sleep regression at 3 months

Naps were going great, she was taking 1 1/2 - 2 hr naps, sometimes fully in her swing, sometimes half the nap in her bed and half in her swing. Suddenly at 11 weeks she started waking at 45 minutes, EVERY nap! It has been frustrating to say the least but after lots of forum reading and research I guess this is pretty common around 12 weeks or so. Sometimes it last several weeks but as far as everyone who has already been through it, says, it WILL get better. I sure hope so.
She wakes up at 45 minutes crying, sometimes 30 minutes, then won't go back to sleep. Sometimes I can tell she is tired but she won't sleep any more. She'll fuss and cry and just be ready to get up and come out and sit with me. She'll eat but isn't necessarily always hungry. After 2 times of this, I can tell she is getting REALLY tired, and sometimes she'll take one good nap of the day. Sometimes it's the morning, sometimes the afternoon.

Before she would always take a longer nap in the swing, now she wakes at 45 minutes even in the swing. It is hit or miss when it comes to switching her from the bed to the swing, sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. I think all this comes because of the 12 week wonder week developmental leap. I say this because of what I've read but also because she suddenly seems so much more aware of her surroundings and my DH and I. When I go in to get her, she kicks her legs and grins really big. She tries to laugh sometimes when we smile at her. She looks around, and coos, chews her hands, blows spit bubbles constantly and is doing so much better holding her head up.

She has also started refusing the bottle again, which I read is not unusual at this age, especially when a baby has had a rough time adapting to the bottle in the first place. We tried every shape of nipple and she finally took the rubber playtex drop ins nipple and would take this successfully from me, my DH and MIL, but now suddenly this has all stopped. I tried everything with no luck. She is too smart, she knows it's not real, she wants the REAL thing!

So this is the challenging 12 week phase. hopefully things will get easier soon.

No comments: